Identity thieves are ever evolving demons and you are their best accomplice when it comes to taking over your identity. How is that, you may ask. Your habits and ambivalence make it easier for a cagey thief to get your vital information, allowing them to take over your identity. Here are seven ways that you can throw a monkey wrench into an identity thief’s plans.
- Never keep your Social Security card or anything with the number on it in your wallet or purse.
- Do not create a password cheat sheet.
- Never keep a spare house key in your wallet or purse.
- Secure your checks at all times. Shred any voided checks at home and throw the pieces away in different bags.
- Keep your passport locked in a safe or on your person at all times; never in your wallet or purse.
- Dump all of the receipts out of your wallet or purse.
- Only carry credit cards when you are going to use them. Leave them locked up at home at all other times.